Paranoia, or the Wave of the Future?

Today, after a very nice three days off I went to work at the two schools where I work half days at each. At a meeting at one of the schools, the principal said that next year there will be a new computerized literacy program put in place at the school. I do not recall the name of it, nor is it really that important (it is run through Scholastic). The point the principal was making was teachers needed to think of "programs and not people." Well, "people" were not happy at the prospect of this "program." What the principal has in mind, according to scuttlebutt, is to gradually eliminate teacher aide positions, obviously for reasons of cost. These computerized programs would help students in remedial reading and help them get up to speed for standardized tests.

Last week at my other school they had a new computerized reading and math program put in called Success Maker, and no doubt it's going to be used by teachers in order to "teach to the test." Since the pressure is on in at-risk schools thanks to the sham "No Child Left Behind Act," these schools are no doubt looking at ways to help up the scores, yet cut down on personnel costs. Remember, Bush has actually cut funding for Title I programs. Furthermore, I have a real problem with the growing depersonalization of education, and this is being used for students who need the most personal help.

Of course, the wealthier schools and school districts aren't going to bother with such programs.

I see red flags all over this trend. I strongly suspect other at-risk schools in my district are coming up with similar schemes.

No comments:

Featured Post

Crater Lake National Park Photos 1

 Here are a few pictures I took at Crater Lake National Park in southern Oregon today, including a couple of them from the historic lodge: