This
defintely needs to be said about dissent in America.
It isn't just official or media quashing of dissenting views, either. It happens in workplaces all over the country. I am a real believer politics and religion MUST stay out of workplace discussions because they can be so divisive.
In my case, it wasn't just the incident last week discussed below that concerned me. Last week I also had to attend an all-day workshop paid for by the school district. Colleagues at the table where I was sitting kept going downstairs at the hotel/casino where the workshop took place and were watching the Iraq invasion because the principal attending the workshop had to leave early. These "team players" would come up and report on the events (one of them I believe has a family member/members over there), and there would be all this discussion at the table while I am trying to hear speakers talking about TEACHING a program required at this school.
I was enraged enough I moved from the table and to another one closer to the speakers. Nobody is going to force me to listen to this crap that should be discussed during breaks or lunch.
You can guess what happened a few days later. I got an extremely rude email from one of the other "team players," a thirtyish second-year or rookie teacher lecturing a workplace veteran of almost 30 years about how I wasn't a "team player." Well, they want to be rude to people who have spent months preparing these workshops, but I want to hear what is being conveyed by these speakers, so I moved. That nonstop talking, especially about politics/the war, is as rude as people talking during a movie.
Needless to say, I didn't respond to the idiot but forwarded the email to the principal saying the comments were inappropriate. No, I didn't mention the war talk and won't unless I'm asked, which is doubtful.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Featured Post
Crater Lake National Park Photos 1
Here are a few pictures I took at Crater Lake National Park in southern Oregon today, including a couple of them from the historic lodge:
-
Golden Tempo has won the 152nd Kentucky Derby. Jose Ortiz is the jockey. It is his first Derby win. This race is historic, for the fir...
-
Napoleon Solo has won the 151st Preakness Stakes at Laurel Park. Iron Honor tried to make a bid at the homestretch, he couldn't quite c...
-
Another victory for Golden Tempo as he has won this year's Belmont Stakes at Saratoga. Cherie Devaux has won a second leg of the Tripl...
No comments:
Post a Comment