Who Gives a Rat's Ass?
I am now in the chapter of Hillary Clinton's book where she and Bill are working on the 1992 presidential campaign.
Best paragraph so far in the book:
"In the first jury trial I handled on my own, I defended a canning company against a plaintiff who found the rear end of a rat in a can of pork and beans he opened for dinner one night. He didn't actually eat it but claimed that the mere sight was so disgusting that he couldn't stop spitting, which in turn interfered with his ability to kiss his fiancee. He sat through the trial spitting into a handkerchief and looking miserable. There was no doubt that something had gone wrong in the processing plant, but the company refused to pay the plaintiff since it argued that he hadn't really been damaged; and besides, the rodent parts of the which had been sterilized might be considered edible in certain parts of the world [and certain nutballs like G. Gordon Liddy would find them tasty]. Although I was nervous in front of the jury, I warmed to the task of convincing them that my client was in the right and was relieved when they awarded the plaintiff only nominal damages. For years after, Bill used to kid me about the 'rat's ass' case and mimic the plaintiff's claims he could no longer kiss his fiancee because he was so busy spitting." (page 80)
I am hoping to get the book completely read in the next few days.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Featured Post
Crater Lake National Park Photos 1
Here are a few pictures I took at Crater Lake National Park in southern Oregon today, including a couple of them from the historic lodge:
-
Golden Tempo has won the 152nd Kentucky Derby. Jose Ortiz is the jockey. It is his first Derby win. This race is historic, for the fir...
-
Napoleon Solo has won the 151st Preakness Stakes at Laurel Park. Iron Honor tried to make a bid at the homestretch, he couldn't quite c...
-
Another victory for Golden Tempo as he has won this year's Belmont Stakes at Saratoga. Cherie Devaux has won a second leg of the Tripl...
No comments:
Post a Comment