This Columnist

thinks John Roberts is a dandy pick, and his arguments are the best I can think of for rejecting his nomination:

For all we know, John Roberts may be a closet Earl Warren (the supposedly conservative chief justice that President Eisenhower nominated in the 1950s who went on to become one of the most liberal chief justices in the Supreme Court's history) on matters like abortion, prayer in schools, gay marriage and so on. Or he may toe the culturally conservative line for all it's worth. If I were a Bush administration insider, to either prospect I'd say, so what? Getting a business-friendly, tort- and regulatory-reformist justice on the Supreme Court's bench is the real political coup in this nomination, during which Democrats are getting steamrollered as part of the process.

No comments:

Featured Post

Crater Lake National Park Photos 1

 Here are a few pictures I took at Crater Lake National Park in southern Oregon today, including a couple of them from the historic lodge: