That was one hell of a bullshit speech. I honestly don't know how the dictator does it with all of the goddamned lies.

His big spiel tonight was claiming we need to be less reliant on foreign oil. So what does this mean? Does this mean we are going to get out of Iraq eventually? Or is there more money to be made by his various backers who see tons of money being made from research into more energy efficient products?

Who the hell knows? I was calling him a liar so many times I lost count. I wasn't necessarily talking to myself however; I was down at the Democratic headquarters with about thirty other people watching the speech and Governor Keane's response. I also saw Tom Oliphant and David Brooks on PBS talking away. Oliphant certainly knows how to explain himself, and he would have been an excellent choice to give the Democratic response.

The one highlight of the evening was hearing that when Jack Carter announces his intention of running for the U.S. Senate seat held by John Ensign, not only will his mother Rosalynn be there in Carson City Monday afternoon, but also his dad will attend. I HAVE to go to it; I am NOT going to miss it no matter what (unless the former president and first lady cancel). I have never seen former President Carter in person, having missed a chance in 1976 when his plane had some problems on a campaign stop and he couldn't make it to Medford, Oregon. Rosalynn came in his place.

Lessee...When I see Jimmy Carter Monday, that will be yet another president of the United States I have seen, whether before, during, or after the president was in office or whether or not he was inaugurated. I have seen President Ford in person back in 1976, the same day I saw Rosalynn Carter; I have seen President Reagan twice, both times as a candidate as well as Nancy Reagan; I have seen President Gore when he campaigned for President Clinton's re-election in 1996; I have seen President Cheney twice in person along with First Lady Lynne; I have seen President Kerry when he was campaigning in 2004; and I have seen First Lady Laura Bush. In addition I have seen one dictator.

I will leave a bit early from work Monday. I won't need a substitute for the last half hour of the school day, and I will ride in a carpool to Carson City. I'll make sure I have a couple of cameras with me. (Pablo Martinez Monsivais, NYT)

No comments:

Featured Post

Crater Lake National Park Photos 1

 Here are a few pictures I took at Crater Lake National Park in southern Oregon today, including a couple of them from the historic lodge: