I
just returned from a rather informal Jack Carter fundraiser at a local family's house. It was very pleasant surroundings, thanks to the backyard being very shady, and about 50 people or so were there to listen to what he had to say.
It took me awhile to find the place, and when I did, I was in the middle of Jack giving his speech. Most of what he said (from the time I arrived) had to do with what his game plan was going to be between now and November. Since he is basically unopposed in the primary, he is concentrating on the fall election and continuing to raise money for his campaign. He's going to need every bit of money he can get, as he is greatly outgunned financially by Senator Blow Dry. Not only that, but he would like to have as many volunteers as possible pound the pavement for him. Jack also talked about his latest tour through several Nevada rural towns.
I didn't ask him any questions, preferring to listen to what others had to ask him, but I just wonder if this "in-person" style of campaigning, rather than relying on the extremely expensive television and radio ads, is what his father employed when he was running for president. (Of course, he doesn't need to spend a lot of money right now on ads when he is practically unopposed in the primary.) When people meet Jack, they like him, and they are impressed with his knowledge of issues and his sincerity. He also is a good listener, unlike many politicians who think if you're not a lobbyist or a fat cat donor, you're not worth listening to. After all, what you are supposed to do as a representative of the people is listen to their concerns and not be a rubber stamp for the administration or for corporate lobbyists.
Old Blow Dry, meanwhile, has hardly paid any attention at all to Carter, which in a way is a good thing right now. No doubt his staff read the advice of Nevada pundit Ralston, I think it is, who thinks BD just has it made in the shade and suggests the airhead simply ignore Carter. So instead of giving a damn about the people who voted him in six years ago, he's either running around all over the country campaigning for people like Santorum or else he is in Washington voting for outrageous legislation to pander to the religious right.
The question remains whether Nevadans are so damned stupid they will vote this airhead in for another six years, a man whose sole distinction seems to be that he was named one of the 50 most "beautiful" people on Capitol Hill by The Hill. Granted he's cute, but running for the Senate should be a lot more substantial than a beauty contest.
I fear Nevadans WILL be that dumb, but they could fool me. That doesn't mean Carter supporters shouldn't try their hardest to get him out, though.
I took pictures of the event, which I will have on the blog in a couple of days.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Featured Post
Crater Lake National Park Photos 1
Here are a few pictures I took at Crater Lake National Park in southern Oregon today, including a couple of them from the historic lodge:
-
Golden Tempo has won the 152nd Kentucky Derby. Jose Ortiz is the jockey. It is his first Derby win. This race is historic, for the fir...
-
Napoleon Solo has won the 151st Preakness Stakes at Laurel Park. Iron Honor tried to make a bid at the homestretch, he couldn't quite c...
-
Another victory for Golden Tempo as he has won this year's Belmont Stakes at Saratoga. Cherie Devaux has won a second leg of the Tripl...
No comments:
Post a Comment