If
it ever gets below 100 degrees it'll be a miracle. I decided to head out to Bartley Ranch Regional Park in Reno and attend the annual Reno Silver Dollar Chorus concert. They are an acapella choir specializing in barbershop-style singing. They've been doing this concert for a couple of years at least. This was the first time I attended it.
I am the type of person who likes most types of music, including strictly vocal music. There is a lot of musical talent locally, I will say that much. The show featured a very talented barbershop quartet called The Late Show, a group that has entered a number of competitions.
It was also good that despite it looking like it was going to storm again, it didn't. Unfortunately, since the concert ended at 9:30 I could not make it for the Silver Legacy fireworks celebration. I did see them when driving home, however.
Now I am watching a DVD of one of my favorite movies of all time, Mildred Pierce (1945). It was the movie that won Joan Crawford the Oscar. She was good, but I think she gave better performances in Grand Hotel and The Women. The supporting cast was a typically great cast for the era, including Eve Arden, Jack Carson, and Zachary Scott. But it was 17-year-old Ann Blyth, going against type, who gave one of the all-time great supporting performances as the bitchy, evil Veda. She and Crawford played off each other very well, and the highlight of the film was when Crawford tore up a payoff check when Veda's marriage was annulled (but she claimed she was pregnant in order to get the money), and Veda landed a haymaker on Crawford. That was real, by the way, and Ann Blyth, who absolutely thought the world of Crawford, felt horrible she had to do it.
Anyway, the movie was one of the great film noir pictures of the era. I must have seen this movie several dozen times over the years. I never tire of it.
A bit of a trivia note, and that is the actor who played Crawford's first husband in the film, Bruce Bennett, celebrated his 100th birthday in May.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Featured Post
Crater Lake National Park Photos 1
Here are a few pictures I took at Crater Lake National Park in southern Oregon today, including a couple of them from the historic lodge:
-
Golden Tempo has won the 152nd Kentucky Derby. Jose Ortiz is the jockey. It is his first Derby win. This race is historic, for the fir...
-
Napoleon Solo has won the 151st Preakness Stakes at Laurel Park. Iron Honor tried to make a bid at the homestretch, he couldn't quite c...
-
Another victory for Golden Tempo as he has won this year's Belmont Stakes at Saratoga. Cherie Devaux has won a second leg of the Tripl...
No comments:
Post a Comment