A Few Reads for Sunday

 This month marks the fiftieth anniversary of the tragedy at India's Nanda Devi mountain where a woman with the same name and the daughter of famed mountaineer Willi Unsoeld collapsed and died of illness.  I just finished reading another book focusing primarily on this ill-fated climb, Fatal Mountaineer.  I also have read John Roskelley's book about the expedition as well as Lawrence Leamer's biography of Willi Unsoeld.  Willi died less than three years after his daughter in an avalanche at Mount Rainier.  He would have been 100 years old on October 5.  That only goes to show how quickly time goes by.  He was just 52 when he died in 1979.  If you don't mind a paywall, here is a 2023 article about Devi's (as she was known) fatal climb of her namesake mountain.

__________________________


A hood and robe on the statue would have been more in line with what Charlie Who really was.

___________________________






No comments:

Featured Post

Crater Lake National Park Photos 1

 Here are a few pictures I took at Crater Lake National Park in southern Oregon today, including a couple of them from the historic lodge: