Thinking of the Posts
I wrote last night about the rise of talk radio, if I were appointed President of the United States, the very first thing I would do is order the FCC to reinstate the Fairness Doctrine. It is absolutely crucial to a democracy that as broad a spectrum of opinions need to be heard so citizens can make informed decisions. As it currently stands, we have nothing but propaganda mills posing as "news." For the survival of the country this can't be.
If the Fairness Doctrine could not be reinstated, I would work to ban talk radio or put a moratorium on it unless or until radio owners take the notion that these airwaves are OUR airwaves which are designed for the PUBLIC INTEREST seriously. While some consider talk radio as mere "entertainment," the truth is many people, far too many people, consider talk radio their primary source of news. In addition to this, I would return strict regulations on media and destroy the monopolies which have so polluted public discourse. Fox "News" as it currently exists would no longer exist. It would be required to give a fair hearing to differing points of view. Currently it's no better and probably worse than the old communist paper Pravda. Finally, there should be as little mixing of different types of media as possible (television stations/networks owning far too many radio stations, etc.) with the old restrictions put back in place.
We've got a real problem here in this country. The far right would never have gotten where it is if we even had a free, independent media. It's time to get it back.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Featured Post
Crater Lake National Park Photos 1
Here are a few pictures I took at Crater Lake National Park in southern Oregon today, including a couple of them from the historic lodge:
-
Golden Tempo has won the 152nd Kentucky Derby. Jose Ortiz is the jockey. It is his first Derby win. This race is historic, for the fir...
-
Napoleon Solo has won the 151st Preakness Stakes at Laurel Park. Iron Honor tried to make a bid at the homestretch, he couldn't quite c...
-
Another victory for Golden Tempo as he has won this year's Belmont Stakes at Saratoga. Cherie Devaux has won a second leg of the Tripl...
No comments:
Post a Comment