I

returned to Reno from going the "long way" through Sacramento and up I80 over Donner Summit. It takes two hours longer than going the shortcut through McCloud and Susanville, but I felt like going that way.

I somehow managed to get up enough energy to go down to Best Buy and pick up the first season set of Father Knows Best, a show I haven't seen since it was syndicated in the 1960s. I have heard some of the episodes are edited ones because the available unedited prints were not very good. I guess Sony owns the rights to the original prints, but it won't release them, so we consumers are stuck with imperfect copies. Still, this is the only way to get it.

One of the actors in the show, Lauren Chapin, who became a born-again Christian quite a few years ago after having many personal problems, has an official website up on the series.

I also spent some time picking up some compilations of 1950s and 1960s hits. I have tons of CDs, which I won't get rid of, and I intend on continuing to buy them even as I do have iPods and such. I like the tangible. Anyway, there were some songs I wanted on them, including "Time Won't Let Me," by the Outsiders; "Do Wah Diddy Diddy," by Manfred Mann; "It's Only Make Believe" by Conway Twitty; and both hit versions of "Young Love" by Sonny James and Tab Hunter. Since I have a wide variety of songs and genres on my iPod, I thought by having both versions of "Young Love" would cover both kinds of young love, though Hunter's version didn't change the lyrics of James' version. If I have to explain this, well, shit, take a look at this site.

Anyway, that's about it for me. I am feeling pretty faint.

Featured Post

Obituary: Ethel Kennedy

 Earlier today, members of the Kennedy family announced that the matriarch of the family, Ethel Kennedy, 96, had died.  She had suffered a s...